View Single Post
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Emimily
Silly Rabbit

Reeeecovvveryyyyyy... yeah!

What kills me about newcomers in AA, and even some of the folks on here that are in the rooms, is that they have SUCH a hard time believing in a power greater than themselves. That's not God, at all. That's a power greater than they are.

Does it amaze anyone but me that alcoholics are such a bunch of egmaniacs? How hard is it to accept that you aren't the end all, be all of everything? Really. Now, I can't get down on a doorknob or anything, but I can definitely groove with the notion that my measly little 5'6" frame isn't the Big Guy. Or Girl, or flying spaghetti monster... **** man, if a flying spaghetti monster is where you're at, that's cool with me. It's probably a pretty badass Higher Power when you think about it.

The other thing that kills me is that all these cats get stuck on the verbage of the Big Book. Yeah, I dig the Big Book. I can get down with the 12 steps, and traditions for that matter, but I don't ever take the wording so seriously! I'd be a lot more bummed out if I did. Just like anything else, it's the principles behind the words that matter. You know, in the chapter "To Wives" Bill goes off for a minute on how a good wife sees her husband cheerfully through relapses, la-la-la. ********! His own wife was one of the key players in Al-Anon, learning to take care of herself... can't always trust the lingo, man.

So to me, it's like this. Go to AA if you can get over yourself, and don't go to AA if you can't. If you REALLY think you're it, then I'd rather you stay home than take up space at a meeting. That way we'll have enough seats for the kids who want it.

Peace!

Last edited by Emimily; 04-20-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: everything got italicized somehow... weird!