View Single Post
Old 04-19-2007, 10:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Nuclerosis

I realise my what I'm about to write may not seem productive, but here goes.

I'm one of those militant atheists. We are a rare bunch, but we do exist.

I was brought up with a complete freedom of thought. My parents never told me what was right and wrong to think. I remember being a 6 year-old and being led down to church in school to listen to the reverend. The UK is one of the most secular nations but interestingly, the Church of England still has (theoretical) control in schools. I could never see a reason to believe what I was being told. I'm not one of those people who questioned it as they got older, I simply never ever believed.

I'm a man of science and logic. I approach everything with a cold, clinical outlook. The reason I personally don't believe in any god is because I've never seen evidence of it. I see what I believe. I'm a skeptic in every sense of the word. The only person who is responsible for my problems in life, as well as my successes, is me. And me alone. No one anywhere is going to save me, apart from me. Sure, there are people who can and want to support and help me, but the fact is, if I don't want to stop drinking, then theres nothing anyone can do. Silly books written thousands of years ago won't change that.