Thread: crackreality
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
iluvmickey
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am the Mom of a crack addict…..

I am also a member, not only here, but at Crackreality…..When I first discovered my son was addicted to crack, I started out the same as every other parent.....what can I do to help…..I cried, I prayed, I read, I talked, I screamed, I did every thing in my power to make him understand what he was doing to himself and all of the people that loved him……What I learned from crackreality was that this was his addiction, not mine…that the only chance he had for recovery was for me to detach and let go with love……that for me to help was to hurt his chances of finding his bottom and so with much pain I have done just that……nothing in your life can prepare you for this journey, but I found love and support at crackreality…….

Yes, I understand it is about choices, yours and the addicts…..and if you choose to be there for five relapses, that is your choice…..For me I could not continue to get my hopes up only to have them dashed time and time again…..I could not continue to hear I am sorry, it will never happen again, and all of the other promises, only for it to happen again and again…..

I love my son with all my heart and I will always have hope….but I must be realistic also, that the choice is his and I must let him have those choices and also have the consequences that come from those choices…..

What you read about crack, the addict and their lifestyle is very hard to take and yes everyone is an individual and there are some pattern differences for some, but overall the pattern is just as was outlined in the post by Shelby….as with most addicts it is all about them and their needs and until they want to change, I mean really want to change it will happen over and over……My son had a problem with alcohol for many years, but was able to maintain...however once crack entered the picture.....the spiral downward was so swift and terrible….then I knew immediately that this was a different kind of battle and only the very strong would/could survive……

Thanks for listening, there are great people on both boards and I wish for all of us/you and our/your addicts, peace ……

Regards,