View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Grace

Keeping your mouth shut????

Someone once told me that the best choice is often the most difficult one.
That is so true! Here I am, living out of boxes, trying to recover from surgery, and walking on eggshells because there is so much dysfunction in my family. My mother, who I love dearly, is addicted to food and medications. She is very controlling, immature, and manipulative, and it can be very frustrating. My sister and my aunt are playing head games with me already. My sister keeps talking about my ex, and my aunt actually showed up here the other day and accused me of faking my physical limitations, following surgery. It was all I could do to keep from telling her off, but this is not my home. How do you know when to keep your mouth shut and when to defend your position, calmly?????

No one in my family wants to help me move, AND I haven't asked them to. I am doing the best I can. I'm sure that I'll be able to start lifting things within the next month or so, but I will not be manipulated into causing myself injury by a self-centered, alcoholic, control freak. If I sound a little bitter this morning, I am. I just want some normalcy for a change. Perhaps I should go to Tibet and stay with the Monks for awhile. Just some peace and quiet would be VERY, VERY nice!

I am surrounded by alcoholics and control freaks. There are no Alanon meetings around here, so I have to apply what I have already learned from prior meetings, college courses, and my friends on here. The addicts are coming out of the woodwork now. I am truly being tested. The one thing that helps me to remember that I've made the best choice is that I'm no longer living in fear for my life!

Any wise suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Do I say, QUACK, QUACK, QUACK or do I treat family members just as I did the alcoholic boyfriend??????

Thanks!
Grace