View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
GiveLove

Hm. I thought love was a good thing. I'd never "elude the feeling at all costs" no matter what Virgil thought. But romantic love gets us into so much trouble as a species.

It's the top-forty-songs, TV-sitcom, romantic-movie kind of love that gets us in trouble -- that idea that we should love each other through thick and thin no matter how much it hurts, how much abuse we're taking, no matter whether the object of our love loves us back, no matter that we're lied to and taken advantage of. Just like in the sitcom, prince charming will come, or the long-suffering girl gets the guy of her dreams, and we'll kiss and make up at the end.

Drilled into our head from childhood: if we aren't in love, or if someone isn't in love with us, then we may as well be dead. We must do everything we can to make sure people love us, no matter what the price is. All good codies learned it sooo well.

I may be some kind of social freak, but I'm not at all interested in that kind of love any more.

I believe in the love you read about in the poem Wandering Around an Albuquerque Airport Terminal by Naomi Shihab Nye. Eternal, powerful, and based in respect and compassion.

Love conquers whatever you're willing to let it conquer.

Just my 0.02.