View Single Post
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gregsgirl

Holy, thank you everyone who responded!That is mind blowing how many people out there will take their time to help someone they dont know out, my most sincere gratitude to you! I truly appreciate the advice. I have to say that being in this situation, like so many others, has being a huge awakening for me.My mom is a recovered alcoholic, almost 30 years sober, who has dedicated her life to helping those who are in the shoes she walked in so many years ago. I have grown up surrounded by recovered and recovering, "falling off the wagon" "hitting rock bottom" people, it's all I ever knew! Alateen, Alanon and AA meetings, group sessions in my home...you would think I would know exactly what to do! HA! I think until now I haven't had enough appreciation for the people that have been recovered, my mom included, I haven't supported the people brave enough to stand up and say "I have a problem and I need help"..I haven't had the patience for the people directly affected by someone else's illness. to all of you I thank you and I apologize for just not listening. There is many words of good advice, harleygirl, kudo's to you for sticking in there and being so supportive, I'm glad it paid off for you, I think I will see him through his treatment, and hopefully beyond that...he hasn't picked up the bottle in a week and 2 days, which is a big step for him, one he should be proud of, and the steps he is taking to get into treatment have been consistant over this week, which is not like him at all, he is still as determined today as he was the day he decided to get help and I don't feel like I can turn my back on him now...today he ignored the phonecalls of his drinking buddy and it didn't seem to bother him, he wants to surround himself with positive people...that is a step in itself isn't it? or am I just being completely blind? I can't help it, I'm proud of him today, and I hope to be proud of him still tomorrow...will I know until I am faced with it again if I should stay or if I should go?