View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
oneeyeopen
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Honestly, I think you can hit bottom despite having a physically comfortable situation. just the fact that you spend all your money, or lost your license, or are at the mercy of another person's charity could be the bottom for some people.

I know my abf talks a lot lately about feeling emasculated because of his ongoing inability to take care of himself. well...DUH, if you spend all your money on drinking and using, and you still want a warm place to sleep, then you have to be a down and out 38 year old living in your parents basement. I think that dynamic--the pain it causes his ego and such like is worse than if he was tossed out and living on the streets. If you were once proud of your ability to earn good money, take care of yourself, have an independent life, and then you have to sit at home getting the minimum from your parents and have everyone sit around pitying you and you can't even come and go on your own and you have to beg borrow and steal from every one just to buy a cup of coffee, well that could very well be bottom.

I think we often think of bottom as a physical thing -- they are homeless, they are constantly ill, but it can be purely psychological, so it looks like the addict is still comfortable and you figure he hasn't hit bottom, but he could very well be getting there despite diner on the table every night at 6 and a hot shower every morning.