Thread: Ignorant People
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 09:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

Cat's good, she and Moose make a great pair, eh?

I agree there is nothing you can say to "prove" anything to someone with a closed mind. not a thing.

There are some things I've learned that make addiction even MORE mysterious to me.

Something like 60% get sober without a program... some psychologists call this "maturing out" or "spontaneous recovery". I believe that may be what happened to me and Mr. Big - neither of us work a program around our drinking, neither does my mom, nor did my dad, nor does my sis.

It is more than just a disease of the "mind" - it has a physical basis. Here are some links to a book called "Under the Influence". There is a followup book called "Beyond the Influence". Both convinced me it is absolutely a physical disease just like diabetes or heart disease. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

There seem to be commonalities among folks in program - so much so, they talk about them around the tables... "the hole in the middle", "feeling not part of", "feeling less than" that drugs FIX those feelings. And they come from folks from GOOD families, from LOVING families... but enough is not enough... the "more...more...more" stuff. Weird, and so far, unexplained.

I believe there is more to wonder about addiction, than what is "known". And PS - it is ok to go to a meeting still drinking. The only 'requirement' is a desire to quit drinking... most of us who CAN quit drinking don't have the "desire" anymore, eh?

PPS - you might ask your friend if her diabetic friends are just imagining their inability to process sugar? They might be doing it just to get attention, eh? And her friends with heart disease who still eat meat and don't exercise? They are just being obnoxious, don't ya think?

No...don't do that. Gas on the fire, is all that will do. But don't ya just WANNA sometimes? (evil grin).

The advice above mine is better, trust me. I am just a sick, sick puppy....