Thread: Ignorant People
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2007, 05:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
faithhopelovejr

Talking Ignorant People

Just a question for you codies out there. I experienced something very annoying and insensitive at work yesterday. It's just me and two other women in our office. One of them got on the subject of a news show, hosting a doctor where you could call in questions. She said a lady called in and wanted to know if there was something else she could take for pain because after 6 weeks of pain meds she was out, but was curious if there was something else. I guess you could interpret that question in a number of ways. Her conclusion (the girl in my office) was that people can deal with addiction. It basically doesn't exist and it's their choice and if she can put down pills after being medically necessary, then so can others. She went really far out in left field with her logic, and I just wanted to laugh at her and say just as an addict can't help their addiction, you can't help your stupidity. I even gave her the spill about being recognized as a disease of the mind. She just shook her head and said she doesn't believe it. So I then told her that the only remedy that seems to keep an addict in recovery is the 12 Step Program. She said my dad is an alcoholic and he goes to those stupid meetings and I think they're a crock of $hit. I told her she needed to go to the local AA meeting at lunch and take a look around at all the people that THOSE MEETINGS are helping. She then insisted that her dad drinks AND goes to meetings. I was in a no win situation with her and I thought she was being very insensitive towards the disease and it's effects on the addict AND loved ones. So the next time this topic comes up, any suggestions on what to say to shut her down? Thanks!