Old 03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cuttlefish

I didn't cut family out of my life, rather my mother did. Her whole family is just bonkers. My grandmother (mom's mom) was an alcoholic, and very ill with emphysema for the last 5 years before she passed away. Family relations had never been pleasant, and Thanksgiving and Christmas were uncomfortable.

My mother has 3 siblings, and they drink, and then fight. They pick on each other, backbight, and gossip maliciously. It got to the point where we stopped going to family functions. They would 'pump' me for information too when I was a teenager, so nosy. Offer me life advice when they had to move home and had creepy boyfriends from the internet...ugh. We only went to visit my grandma while she was sick. After she passed away, the family has fallen apart. We take my grandpa out to dinner when we want to visit, there is no contact between my mom and the rest of her family.

My mom went through a lot when she did this...she felt guilty about 'cutting us off' (me and my siblings). I learned you can have your own relationships with the 'healthy' family, and you don't miss the unhealthy ones at all. I lost all respect for my aunts and uncles after they way they fought while my grandmother was dying...I say good riddance to their drinking and maliciousness. So does my mom. However it happened, she's not like them, and she feels much happier knowing she took responsibility for her life and happiness, by cutting off her family. The only aspect you can control about your family is whether or not to have contact.

Another example: My dad didn't talk to his own father for 8 years, and me and my siblings were never allowed to visit him. As an adult, I've met him, I don't feel I've missed out. There was a reason my dad stopped talking to him, and I don't find a drunk grandfather pleasant. I'd rather have a few family members to talk to, then be a part of the whole clan of dissapointments.