View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 08:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Golfman

Wink

Ladies,

I'm Ed and I'm an alcoholic. I hope yo don't mind me being here. I read your two storied with much interest. It's as if you are both describing me. Well, I should say, what I used to be like. The sad truth is that unless your ABF and AH want more than anything else to live a different life, the chances are slim that they will change for the better.

While this may be very painful and disheartening, I believe that you need as much information and as many perspectives as you can get. I, like many other alcoholics, drank not because I loved alcohol, but rather for the effect it had on me. You see an alcoholic's real problem is not the alcohol itself. the real problem lies much deeper...in the mind and soul. Believe me, if water had been the way for me to escape the horrible feelings I had, I would have been a "waterholic." Alcohol is just s symptom of the disease. Just as a cough is to a bacteria or virus. Unless the real cause is treated, the symptom will not go away.

You could remove the alcohol from the alcoholic and you would still have one very pi**ed off person. what I had to do was be willing to search inside myself to find out what the causes and conditions were that kept me in so much pain that I turned to alcohol for temporary relief. That's all it is too, temporary. The problems that I think I'm drinking away tonight will still be there in the morning when I wake up.

If you like to learn more, I'd suggest going to an open AA meeting. There you will find people in all stages of recovery who describe what they used to be like, what happened, and what they are like today. If you'd like to deal with your own issues as to why you keep hanging on, etc. I would suggest you find an Alanon meeting in your area. These meetings are for the spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, husbands, or significant others. There you will find support and a group of people who will welcome you and let you know you're not alone.

I wish you well and pray that your ABF and AH find their way to sobriety.

Ed