Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheGirlInside
In Recovery

BeginAgain,

Darling, change your and your son's phone numbers. Just because your father is "old and feeble" that apparently hasn't affected his ability to be cruel, manipulative and abusive (he is abusing your boy by trying to get your son involved in matters best left to adults).

For my safety and sanity, I also had to spend some time away from my family. I didn't show up for Easter last year, which was practically scandalous!! I needed time to become stronger, so that I could deal with them.

Because I have two small girls who love their family and have very close connections with them, I don't feel right keeping the girls away from them. And, now that I've become a little stronger, I can let my family's "jab"s just bounce off me. I think they may be backing off, because I don't react the way I used to, thus taking away their satisfaction.

I think it would be good for you and maybe also your son to go to an ACOA meeting, or maybe Al-anon, if those are available. You are worthy of living life without having be walk on eggshells every time the phone rings. The constant anticipation of "the next time" is stressful, and is probably draining your energy, even if you don't notice it.

Give yourself some time away. The old man will find a nurse, doctor, or someone else to abuse in the meantime.