View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Can't_Stop

Thumbs up Depression and Medication

When I don't drink I have symptoms consistent with depression. Not a severe, suicidal case, just mild with some generalized anxiety. Most of my drinking (I was a 2-4 night a week binge drinker) was brought on by this feeling that I wanted to get rid of.

Dry for a few weeks, but really struggling, I went to a doctor and described my symptoms. She put me on effexor. I am on a half dose until tomorrow, and then I bump it up to a full dose.

So far so good. A few times a day the medication gives me a manic rush that lasts for a few minutes and then subsides. I actually enjoyed those little rushes at first, but now I am hoping the medication soon reaches equilibrium in my system and they stop. Its no good getting the giggles at the grocery store.

Other than that, I am really happy with the results. I haven't even felt like drinking this past week - and that is amazing all by itself. I went to a barbecue at a friend's house where there were 5 couples drinking and having a party, but I had no trouble abstaining and still having a good time with my friends. Its way too soon to know if this is a long term solution, but I am more optimistic than I have been for a long time, and I wanted to share that.