View Single Post
Old 03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
helpus

Sm, If you had asked me this question a few years ago I never would have suggested dentures. I worked for 13 years in a very well to do town, where $$ was no object for most, I didn't see the things I see now. I am 1 mile from home working in my own comunity where people are just middle class and we get alot of people who have some serious dental issues. Some were never taught better, some just did'nt have the $$ to fix things, and some are addicts & some are college kids who go away to school & live on Mt Dew. This is a whole different world for me. Like I had a guy in last week who works for prob min wage, and needed root canal, post core build up, & a crown if he wanted to save the tooth. He wanted to save the tooth & pay like $1450 on a line of credit we offer. But he didn't even own a car. At first he was going to sign his life away to fix it, & I told him to take a while to make a decision & call us in a bit so we could schedule something. He called back and he couldn't really afford it & opted to have it extracted for $110. I mean he could have had a decent down payment on a car for that. But I have learned that dentures on the upper arn't all that bad. I do think it's hard when people are young, but sometimes the $$ could go to something more needed. I do think a nice smile gives people self confidence. But it doesn't always have to be done for thousands upon thousands of dollars. the Dr should have given you a treatment plan with 2 or 3 options on it. You need to do what feels right in your heart. If you don't like what he said, bring the x rays to another Dr & get another opinion. I bet you and your son are looking forward to his new smile.