View Single Post
Old 03-20-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
justme5

i agree with cece...once i really started delving into step one and acceptance, my codependent crazy times have slowly become fewer and farther between, and they don't last nearly as long... we aren't used to focusing on ourselves...it feels wrong and selfish. but we've neglected ourselves for so very long, it's not selfish to send some of that love our own way.

my therapist asked me recently, "what would you tell a friend who was going through what you're going through?" ohhhh, i had no problem coming up with reassuring statements, figuring out ways that she could and should be taking care of herself, and things that she should be telling herself instead of the negatives........but i couldn't come up with one of those things for myself. her point, of course, is that i don't deserve any less than what i would do or say for those i care about, and yet i beat myself up instead. slowly i'm getting better at treating myself as my own best friend...it takes practice, but it does help so very much...and i have more to give those that i love, now....

just my two cents....