View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
savoy

yep

Yes, I did it 1940's style, my sponsor was and still is old school.

What differentiates the 40's from now is the fellowship was mostly recovered.

So what happened?

In the 1950's , with the publishing of the 12x12, groups started to change from "here are the steps we took" to here are the steps we'll just study. There was no such thing as "step Study" prior to 1952.

A carefull reading of the Big Book shows a certain timeline for working the steps, its in the stories, Bill worked the steps with Ebby in Towns, 9 days sober.

Dr Bob met Bill several times over a course of a few weeks, got drunk in Atlanta, and then did his amends in one day.

Ernie T ( I think on page 291) describes going through the steps with Dr Bob in an afternoon.

Clarence Schneider (home brewmeister) often said "give me a willing drunk on Friday and I'll show you a recovered alcoholic on Monday"

None of which agrees with what I hear in the rooms today.

1940's style meetings in Cleveland, saw newcomers being taken through the steps in seminar fashion , in groups of 20-30 drunks all working the steps, recovery rates were twice as good as in NY.
They actually worked the steps in the meeting, inventory was written between meetings and step 5 was done with a sponsor after a meeting, sponsors barely had 1 month experience themselves due to the explosive growth rate which came about due to the publicity they were getting. All 12 steps were completed in 4 meetings.

See Dr Bob and the Oldtimers for more of the same, patients would get out of the alkie ward and come back the next week describing their experience in making amends.

Thats how they used to do it, I believe it still works best ,rather than the drag it out as long as possible approach.

Gerard