View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
CatsPajamas
Forum Leader

WE CONTINUE BY EXAMINING OUR LIABILITIES

Now our task is to deal with the difficult issues of our lives, past and present. Nothing will be solved by hiding from the truth. Justifying and rationalizing our actions and blaming others for all the problems in our lives will never produce serenity. Remember, we are only asked to take an inventory, not to do anything about what we learn. If we trust in our Higher Power and the guidance of our sponsor, these issues will be dealt with in a loving way as we continue to work the Al-Anon program of recovery.

In what ways am I resentful? Do I harbor grudges? Why?

Whom do I resent from my past? Why? What is my part in it?

Whom do I resent in my immediate environment? Why? What is my part in it?

Do I resent authority figures? Why? What is my part in it?

When do I judge other people harshly and resent their not doing what I think they should?

Do I hold everyone and everything to an impossible standard of ideal perfection?

How do I judge myself?

Am I fearful? What do I fear? Why?

Am I dishonest? Am I holding secrets? Do I lie rather than “cause a scene”? What dishonesty have I hidden from others?

Do I feel sorry for myself? Am I filled with self-pity? How do I feel I have been made a victim? What is my part in it?

Am I a fixer? Do I like to be in charge? Do I get upset when I don’t win? What consequences have I had from taking care of others instead of myself?

In what ways do I trust myself in dealing with others? Do I go to safe places? Do I remove myself from potentially dangerous situations? Even if it’s my own home?

In what ways am I comfortable with my sexuality? Do I enjoy sex? If I am having sexual difficulties, do I know why? Have I sought professional help?

Do I have a God of love or a God of fear in my life? How can I change my attitude toward my Higher Power?

Do I take on responsibilities that are not mine? Why or why not?

Do I feel responsible for someone else’s learning, marriage, or sobriety? How?

In Step Four we have begun the journey to self-trust through self-knowledge. As we continue the journey through the Steps, we gain trust in ourselves, our Higher Power, in other people and in life. The path to recovery using the Twelve Steps – one Step at a time- continues. Before taking the next step, congratulate yourself, call your sponsor, and share at your next home group meeting the excitement and relief you feel from doing your own personal Fourth Step.