View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Step 4 is often a dreaded step because it means digging deep within ourselves to find our resentments, who we resent, how it has affected us and what our part in it is.

I just began writing for this step, about people and events in my life that I felt had left scars. I ended up with about 15 pages and amazed myself at how much garbage I had been carrying around for so many years.

Also, my sponsor reminded me that this was an inventory, and that I should also list the good things in my life and about myself. Strangely, I could only fill about 4 pages with that and comparing it to my other list I realized that I really did have a lot of work to do.

With my sponsor's help, I spent probably two or 3 weeks taking at least an hour each day to work on this. It was not the kind of thing that I wanted to spend a lot of time at one sitting. And that gave me time in between to think on what I had written.

As I prepared to discuss it with God and one other person (my sponsor) that would follow in my Step 5, I sat and re-read what I had written and felt like a huge burden had been lifted from me.

For me, this step is not to be feared. It is an opportunity to do some deep personal housekeeping and prepared to dispose of old garbage that has been taking up way too much space.

Hugs