View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dakotaboyd
dakotaboyd

dilanafan,
She's a hard life to break free of when your roll models set the standards so low. I too come from a family of drugs and have spent most of my life following in there footsteps, not knowing any better. What remains of my family, I no longer seek to change. They seem to be who they are whether I like it or not, so I must find exceptance with it somewhere along the track or have no relations at all. They are the choices left to me.
Is it wrong for me to dismiss who they are and turn my back to find peace of mind. No, not if they are a threat to me. If my wife took up the needle again, regardless of where she was, she would pose a major threat to me and defensive action would have to take place.
I am in my late thirties and have done this **** my entire life and I will let no man or woman come in the way of my recovery, and that is a fact. Your old man has choices as do you but we can not make that choice for others. I have indeed tried to many times in my life and met failure. It is your Dads choice to be where he is in life not yours....but it is your choice now to follow him or break free from that life and set the bar higher than he set it for you.
I imagine you would feel guilt sorrow regrett or adandonment issues that would be natural from where I see things. There are woman here on this thread that have had to place boundaries to protect themselves and there recovery from husbands in prison to sons and daughters in the same boat,and I imagine they would have felt how you feel right now so please keep sharing with us you are not alone. Dakotaboyd