Thread: He's Gone
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:23 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
ConcernedBigSis

Thank you everyone for your kind words, you have no idea how much they mean to me right now. I am comforted knowing that he no longer has to suffer and that he passed peacefully. I honestly believe that when he layed down to sleep he gave up, he would not have wanted to spend the rest of his days dependant on someone else. Because of his hip he would have had to. He's now at peace and with the love of his life once again (my beautiful grandma).
I gave this poem to my grandpa a few years ago on a little plaque. When I was very young we lived out on a farm right across the road from my Grandparents, everyday I'd go across the road and take grandpa by the hand and walk him around the farm for hours. All I could say was "walk grandpa, walk and walk and walk". So when I came across this poem it seemed so perfect for him. I gave it to him and he had this huge smile on his face, told me he couldn't believe I remembered that and then went to hang it on his wall. I'll never forget the look on his face when I gave it to him, nor will I ever forget our walks. Thought I'd share the poem.

WALKING WITH GRANDPA

I like to walk with Grandpa,
His steps are short like mine.
He doesn't say "Now Hurry Up,"
He always takes his time.

I like to walk with Grandpa,
His eyes see things like mine do -
Wee pebbles bright, a funny cloud,
Half hidden drops of dew.

Most people have to hurry,
They don't stop and see.
I'm glad that God made Grandpa,
Unrushed, and young like me.

~Poem by Thena Smith~

I miss him so much, I couldn't do anything other then sleep yesterday.