View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007, 09:40 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pi_seas

Just Heard a Presentation Today

I just heard a presentation about the 16 step model. Oh, by the way, I am new to the boards here at SoberRecovery. My name is Pi and I am an alcoholic.

Since I am new, let me provide a little bit of background. I come from a family of AA's. My grandfather is now the person in our town with the most years of sobriety (50+ years). My father and my uncle are both in AA. I have been an atheist my entire life and do not agree in any way with what amounts to the AA dogma (and it IS DOGMA). I believe AA has helped many, many people overcome their dependence on alcohol and for some their dependence on drugs. However, I believe that our culture has changed and the dogma associated with AA must end. I beleive that the power weilded by AA in recovery circles will eventually set the recovery movement back several years.

Because of my grandfather, father, and uncle, AA has been a part of my life since I was 5. Additionally, I am also a recovering alcoholic and never agreed with the encouraged co-dependency between sponsor and "newbie." Nor have I agreed with the implied belief that all alcoholics are worthless and incapable of running thier own lives and as such I stopped going to "meetings" after I had 90 days of sobriety. After reading the 16 steps, I felt that someone finally was able to put into words a series of steps that fit me. I encourage those who are not "vetrans" of the AA movement to look into the "16 step" program. You may just find the home and safe haven you were looking for.