Old 03-06-2007, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
maintainin

Depression and mild anxiety AFTER quitting drinking

Hi all, new poster here. Anybody who whas quit drinking, did you experience depression and anxiety in the months after you quit? I used to drink everyday. Not a huge amount, maybe 4-5 beers, enough to give me a nice little buzz for as long as I can remember. I'd also usually get pretty hammered on a Friday or Saturday night. I stopped a couple months ago and I must say I've been depressed and had some mild anxiety ever since. Feelings of hopelessness about the future, no motivation, some anxiety about stuff that never bothered me before. I dont crave a drink, but I'm just down in the dumps. I've never suffered depression before this and I must say it sucks. I've been to the doctor for it and he prescribed me some Lexapro but I have yet to take it because I keep on hoping this will go away and am scared to death of AD medication.

Anybody else experienced this and how long did it take you to get better? I'm assuming its the quitting drinking thats causing it. I never felt depressed when I drank and I never felt the need to drink because I was depressed, but maybe subconciously I was and the drinking masked that? I dont know, I'm just confused and down right now. I take great care of myself. Work out, take vitamins, eat reasonably well. Any insight would be appreciated.