View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 07:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hello mjs

I see you are looking for a absolute solution for a chronic condition. Others say they have it and you want it too. Well so do I, except I don’t believe one exists. However, there ways to reduce the harm, like you have done, and other ways to arrest the addiction progression. Many other ways.

If you are struggling with the higher power or god concepts, do what I did and relegate them to the category of the unknown. I incorporate unknown variables into my addiction treatment and am recovering quite nicely. Why expend undue energies on something that is keeping you from your goal of abstinence. Divorce yourself from the troublesome concept of “hp” and the like. I did and feel and do much better for it.

Addiction recovery happens with or without god. Pick a path and make the best of it. As for myself, I work a secular program that has helped me out of the grip of harmful substance abuse. In my program there is no need of higher powers or god(s). I don’t concern myself with, in my opinion, the unknown. I do enlist helping people in my recovery and have found that experience quite rewarding. My program deals with the immediate issues as they arise; examining beliefs, working through denial, increasing and sustaining motivation, behavioral changes, developing coping strategies for stressors and the like. I have and continue to, alter my attitude in a healthy direction, develop new behaviors and have learned effective ways to manage stress. I do what I can with what I have learned, and so far it is working exceptionally well.

I accept the fact that there are many things that are unexplainable, so I try not to expend undue energies convincing others that my understanding of the unknowable is best and have little time for those who try to convince me their understanding is the only way to see things. I try to work with unknown variables the best I can and have had encouraging success‘s. Enough success to halt a progressive condition that will eventually maim or kill me prematurely without treatment. And that’s good enough for me. I do all this without the belief or acknowledgement of a “hp” or god. So can you.

I would like to encourage you to pick one of the many healthy paths to follow, or do as I did and develop a personal addiction recovery program, one that is meaningful to you and follow it to your best ability.

Zencat.

Last edited by Zencat; 03-01-2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: to touch-up