View Single Post
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BigSis
On a tear

Hi Mjs...

I do not believe there is only "one" way to get and stay sober. I've seen too much proof of other ways.

But 12-step DOES work for me, and I have a fondness for the program.

Something you first posted stands out to me,

I want to incorporate 12 step work into my recovery but when i went to meetings in the past I kept seeing the same people telling the same stories. Its like in the movie groundhog day...I skip a couple years and when I go to a meeting its like yesterday.No one ever moves on or improves.

What I have discovered, is that some meetings never get beyond the "war-story" stage. Drunkalogues and glorifying. Those meetings have a reason for being, but they are not the best part of 12-step that I have experienced.

I find much more insight from study meetings. Book study, step study, and most especially, tradition study meetings. I urge you to seek out study meetings, and specifically look for those that are working the program.

I find them far different and far more fulfilling than some of the meetings filled with court-ordered newcomers down at the Alano club.

Just a thought. (((hugs)))

Last edited by BigSis; 03-01-2007 at 06:41 AM. Reason: clarify my disjointed thoughts