View Single Post
Old 02-28-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
PurpleReign
dum vita est spes est

Sam Harris anyone? He wrote (and I own)...Letter to a Christian Nation and The End of Faith.

Faith is much like sobriety. Boiled down, it's a simply a choice to believe in something, whatever one you think offers the best chance for your survival you put your money on.

As someone who spent years in the scientific field I can tell you this for certain...NOTHING is certain. I was a Christian, then converted to atheism, and then back to Chrisitanity (thank God for that too).

Philosophy can really help you make a decision on religion and I think it was Francis Bacon that said and I paraphrase..."A little philosophy inclineth a man to atheism, depth in philosophy inclineth a man to religion."

I blended a little science and phiosophy to come up with my own thoughts on "proof."
How do you know you are sitting in that chair?
Well, in layman's terms, your butt's nerves send signals to your brain and your brain interprets these electrical impulses/action potentials.

Kant, a philosopher heavy on metaphysics and the blank slate idea, suggested, "what if our senses deceive us?" So, how do we know our sense are interpreting things correctly? How do you prove what you see, smell, hear, taste, and touch are real?

You certainly can't come up with a device to measure it, because as a human being - subject to error, such a device would already carry your own sensory delusions with it.

So we are left with patterns, that if I do x, y will happen. But that's really just statistics, which have confidence intervals and powers to take into account for error. So Hsubone and Hsubzero are useless to us in this case.

Now we have come full circle, to say we don't believe in God is to say that we do believe in our senses being correct, and neither can be proven to be true to 1.00 (100%) CI.

So we are left with nothing more than a choice, cleverly called by God as "free will."

Best of luck in your sobriety my friend.

PR