View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 08:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
mushroom

Loud voices push my buttons too. Loud music. Arguments. Loud cars. Loud heat pumps or tvs or stereos or buzzing halogen lights. I'm very noise sensitive. I like quiet. Birds singing, leaves rustling. A rare commodity in this world. My mother shouted and raged her way through our childhoods. Shouting and arguing still scare me and I want to run away and hide before I get smacked.

Loudness is a violation of personal space too. They take over your audio space and impose themselves all over it. Not consciously I'm sure. I think a lot of people just don't care about noise like I do and don't see it as a problem - you don't want to listen to me, then turn up your own stereo. I'm convinced that's part of why people have so much noise going on in their houses all the time, just to cover up the noise coming from the neighbors. And to fill up the emptiness inside themselves too of course. Most people have a tv or stereo going at all times after all. Quiet scares them. I visited a friend for a couple days once and he had multiple tvs going on different channels in different rooms at all times during waking hours. Come to think of it, my ex AH does that too now that I dont' live there anymore.