Are a few drinks ok?

Old 06-19-2014, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are a few drinks ok?

First, let me say that I am not an alcoholic. I am an adult child of an alcoholic. However, I would like the opinions of AA members on this particular topic. As a result of growing up with a highly functioning alcoholic, I've suffered from depression, anxiety, & codependency. My question is; can I go through recovery from these things, & still have an occasional drink? I never drink alone, & the last time I had anything to drink was one glass of wine 2 weeks ago. I realize that drinking alcohol is a depressant, & therefore can trigger my depression. But I'm asking about small quantities on special occasions. As alcoholics, do you think that's alright? Or should I just stay sober? I hope this is the correct forum to post this thread! My apologies if not!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was suffering from depression and anxiety caused by PTSD many years ago and started to have the odd drink here and there. That was the start of seven years of being a daily top up drunk and drug user. So for me in hindsight I should never have started with that first drink.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, Olemisslauren. I think that's a personal decision. If you've had a drink or two in the past and it didn't lead you to drinking more than you intended, then it's possible you are able to have a drink occasionally. Not every child of an alcoholic will become alcoholic themselves.

If, however, you find yourself drinking more than you intended or not feeling satisfied after one or two drinks, then you might consider just not drinking at all. In any case, you'll find a lot of support here on SR.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I agree with Suki's comments and wanted to add that if you'd like to get input from AA members, you may want to post your question on the Alcoholism 12 Step Support Forum. The members who read in this forum are primarily friends and families of Addicts/Alcoholics, so their perspective is more from the Alanon and Naranon side. There are some double winners here as well.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

Hiya Misslauren!

I'm a double winner, ACOA and in AA for myself. Only you will be able to answer that. I was able to drink the occasional drink and be ok, until I started to wake up with guilt and remorse, even when nothing bad happened.

Are you worried that it could become an issue?

Hope you figure it out for you.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Hiya Misslauren!

I'm not an alcoholic, just an ACOA like you and, like you, I've seen the devastating effects of the family disease of alcoholism around me my whole life. I've watched lives fall to ruin and I've watched people die (or live long, miserable lives)... and I've seen thousands of miracles of recovery.

I don't know what's right for you when it comes to the question of drinking alcohol, but I know that I made the personal choice to not intentionally put alcohol in my body back in 1994 when I realized that alcohol, in addition to being a central nervous system depressant (believe me, I can get depressed enough without chemical enhancement! :-p ), is a toxic substance.

Today, I love, value and respect myself enough to not willingly inTOXICate myself with alcohol any more than I would with rat poison, even though both might cause pleasurable short-term effects.

I know you'll find your answer. Just keep coming back!
Old 08-31-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think alcohol is destructive and I see no good can come from it. It's taken a good fifteen years of my life and I'm not a drinker.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Are A few drinks ok?

Originally Posted by spia View Post
I think alcohol is destructive and I see no good can come from it. It's taken a good fifteen years of my life and I'm not a drinker.
A look at the 20 Questions convinced me I had an alcohol problem. I was also told it was a real Disease that tends to run in families. What really convinced me, though, was that "new" people who came thru the doors of AA over and over. Each time there was more destruction and remorse. Often they were there from a DUI. The possibility of getting a DUI, or worse, hurting someone in the process, made me convinced I did not want to go down that path. I am glad that I kept coming back to AA and sites like SR. Sobriety is about living and I missed out on learning how to live life having come from an Alcoholic home. All holidays were to get drunk. Weekends too. Now I know most homes live a much different lifestyle.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Olemisslauren,

First, I would like to suggest you not to think of continuing your alcoholism again. The best thing you can do is staying as much far as you can away from it. However, I believe it is not that easy for a person like you.

I still recommend that you go to people who have managed to recover from their issues and are now living happily. Those people can the your best companions. Cheers!
Old 09-12-2014, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm a recovering ACOA. Much like you, I don't have a problem having a drink or two then stopping. But I have on occasion drank to excess, and like you struggle with depression.

I make drinking a deliberate choice. I can choose, when, where, how much and if I am going to consume alcohol. If I'm already in a depressive state then I abstain all together. If the mood is good and I'm with good company then I plan how many to have. Then call it quits when I reach my limit.

The risk is that alcohol becomes a crutch. It becomes an escape from the depression. When you feel that temptation it's a good idea to stay off the sauce.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

While drinking a little of anything can hardly be a good solution to a problem that is caused by the drinking itself, you can indulge into small quantities on some occasions. However, you must be careful enough to join a binge drinking party because it will not help you get out of your situation.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

An alcoholic can't have a drink or two and if you can, I don't see a problem.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If it's no big deal then just don't drink alcohol ever again. It does nothing anyway and you will be better off.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Go Rebels!

You may find comfort in the literature that suggests kids of alcoholics are sometimes alcoholics and sometimes not. This is evidenced in my own life......

There is no reason you cannot be a "normie"! You are wise to be watchful and might consider some al-anon to deal with your past/present. I recommended this to my family as well.......

Also, limit your time in the Grove!!!

peace
Old 09-15-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi I come from the same background.. is one drink ok.. for me one in a month.. for pizza on a friday night or holiday a sip of bubbles on new years eve never finish anything.. as I get older it puts me to sleep fast.. and my hubby now has to be the driver without when we have holidays.. hahahah I do have a half a beer with his Pop when we do a special race for Indy or Nascar.. and both of us are on the chair singing roll out the barrel in a couple of minutes.. Charlie is a bad influence hahahahah.. I am very very careful.. search your heart what does your inner child say. and remember the 1st one is always the start to a train wreck.. prayers and hugs ardy