First Time Speaking at an Al Anon Meeting

Old 06-07-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Time Speaking at an Al Anon Meeting

I get the opportunity to tell my story in 2 weeks. It will be the first time, and I am looking forward to the release I will get, but scared to death at the same time. This is a fairly large meeting. I can talk about my husband and his crazy, as I like to call it, but there is another level that I am dreading talking about. I lost my mom to cancer 1 1/2 years ago, and that has been extremely difficult as it was a long road. I know I will feel great getting that off my chest...I just miss her and know the water works will kick in, ha. I HATE crying in front of others, but I do know that no one will judge me.

If anyone has any great advice, I will gladly accept!
Old 06-07-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Way to go EmJaye!

Well, I wrote out my "story" and saw it was really 3 presentations. So I cut off 2/3 of it. I kept it as step work. In time I might be able to speak on those issues. But being a bit new, I jettisoned what might make me totally lose it for the first time.

When I did speak, I did tear up. But you are very correct that this Al Anon is a sweet and welcoming crowd. Best of luck to you. So glad you are speaking!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

EmJaye, it is good to speak about how you were before recovery, how you are now, and how you got there. That's the short answer. When I speak, I make a few notes about the important things I want to remember and then I just speak from my heart.

Before speaking, I ask God to help me with the words to express myself in such a way as to help someone else.

And then I relax and start speaking.

You'll be fine.

Hugs
Old 06-13-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you! I stepped in to chair the meeting tonight for my sponsor, so I am hoping that "broke the ice" a little bit for me. I know I will get emotional, I am that kind of person - But I will get through it.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did it! And it felt great!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great! Sometimes pushing ourselves to do the "do" things is hard, but it is always rewarding. I wish I could have been there to listen and cheer you on.