Choices

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Choices

Choices
Courage to Change
~By BuddyT

We are dealing with a cunning, baffling, and powerful disease and one that is progressive and continues to get worse mentally, physically, and spiritually -- usually on all fronts at once.

I think one of the greatest things that I have gotten out of Al-Anon is the knowledge that I have choices! This is something that I never realized before! I have to accept the things I cannot change. I have to accept that the alcoholic is powerless over the disease. But accepting it doesn't mean I have to condone it, or like it -- and I do NOT have to accept unacceptable behavior.

I have the right to make decisions that are in MY best interest -- to decide not to be around alcoholic behavior and to walk away from fights and arguments. And, to make the decision to no longer participate in the insanity of others.

Thanks to Al-Anon, I have found the courage to make those kinds of decisions. I can make decisions that might cause me some short-term discomfort knowing that in the long run, things will work out for the best if I continue to try to put the Al-Anon principles to work in my life.

Now all I have to do is learn how to not participate in my own insanity!