View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Zencat
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I admit my emotions have gotten the better of me regarding the subject of AA. I went off topic. I did not participate accordingly to the subject, I stand corrected.

My experience’s in AA have been mixed. The program, as explained in the BB, as been used in a way ( admittedly, only by a few members ) to belittle my beliefs and to disparage me personally. I may have developed a thick skin yet those remarks still hurt. So I would advise one to censor their personal remarks that challenge the BB philosophy. In addition to that, do not expect to have your atheist beliefs honored or validated in the AA meeting’s that I go to. Alto there is a chance it may be different somewhere else.

What I find useful is the friendships I developed with free thinking individuals that attend AA meetings and AA social functions. I also utilize the meetings as a way to physically symbolize my personal commitment to sobriety.

I recognize that my views have been prejudiced by long years of religious cult programming. And from time to time those excruciating memories resurface when I here God talk. Especially when I hear some members use slogans in a malicious or demeaning way towards me.

Actually I was hoping to find a minimal of religious or God talk on this thread and yet what did I do, man I’ve got a lot to learn. Oh well, I try to keep an open mind but not so open that my brains fall out. Z