View Single Post
Old 01-29-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
Abbadun

Hi Jim

What useful purpose does ignoring negative and prejudice teachings and thought serve? By not point these facts out is not the membership agreeing with the original writings?

You go back to talking about the "God Stuff" which is meaningless compared to demeaning descriptions of Atheists in AA material. It is not the "God Stuff" in Chapter 4 that hurts Atheists.

AB

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
I think the point here is not to point out everything that is wrong. I'm not an athiest, am an active sixteen year sober member of AA, and I can still manage to find everything that is wrong and I'll point it out to you, most likely unsolicited. I don't that serves any useful purpose.

I want every alcoholic, regardless of belief or non-belief to have the chance I had. And if I can help them have that chance, that's my reason for being in AA in the first place.

I sponsored a man in AA who couldn't swallow the God stuff. I sponsor right out of the Big Book, so there is a lot of the God talk. This man helped me to see that my job isn't to convince him of anything. It is to help him find what it is that he needs so that he won't have to die of alcoholism. One day, when he became upset when reading Chapter 4, I suggested that he & I explore some possibilities. I wasn't familiar with any of the secular approaches, but I know a few athiests in AA who are sober a long time and good AA members and productive, useful members of society in general. So I introduced him to one of them and it worked. Like they say "there's a wrench for every nut." Who knows, had I continued to attempt to sponsor him in the way that I know, I might have killed him.
Jim