View Single Post
Old 08-24-2003, 07:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ariesgirl
Paused

I am the one who pays the bills, and I know exactly how much we need each month to get by, so I could take his name off the account or open a separate account in my own name into which I route the bill money. The savings is already routed into a separate account (which he hasn't touched yet), so that would basically just leave the spending money in our joint account, which is what he gets each month anyway. It's just such a hassle to have to live this way, when we each already get such a generous allowance. But, as I have mentioned before, he usually pays for all his buddies to drink, too. In fact, last night, he went out to drink at a friends and took all of his beer AND our dinner with him! I had to fix something else for the kids and me to eat. So I'm basically feeding and watering all the people he drinks with. Do I put a lock on the fridge, too? Of course we have discussed all of these things, when he is sober, but when he is sober he acts differently and agrees to be reasonable. Then he gets drunk and wants to be Mr. Popular, paying for everyone's drinks. I know part of this post is just venting, but I'm seriously seeking advice on how to keep the finances under control without making it seem like I'm trying to control him, which would just make things worse. I mean, how is putting the finances under lock and key and scrutinizing every charge different from searching the house for bottles?