View Single Post
Old 01-09-2007, 11:34 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  
nolonger

A lot of interest in philosophy here, so I wanted to share an interesting piece by Nietzsche I found recently. I have read and reread it, and find more in it every time. Doesn't get much more anti-Christian, anti-theist than this. I found it useful to think about what a non-supernaturalist can find in and contribute to AA practices. ("ressentiment" for N. is an extra-powerful, extra-toxic version of resentment.)

"Freedom from ressentiment, enlightenment about ressentiment—who knows how much I am ultimately indebted in this respect as well to my long sickness! The problem is not exactly simple: one must have experienced it from strength as well as from weakness...Ressentiment is the forbidden as such for the sick man—it is his specific evil: unfortunately also his most natural inclination. This was comprehended by that profound physiologist Buddha. His "religion," which it would be better to call a system of hygiene, to avoid confounding it with so pitiful a thing as Christianity, depended for its effect upon the triumph over ressentiment: to liberate the soul from it—the first step towards recovery..."

scroll down here to number 6...
http://www.geocities.com/thenietzschechannel/eh3.htm

peace, NL