View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  
Sugah
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've read similar things about Bill W., Paul. And I can relate to the quote that you posted. No one could convince me that there is nothing out there but nothing.

I fully accept and understand the need of some for a mythology to explain it. Perhaps I just have come to the place where I don't need the metaphors, though I will say that I find many of them very beautiful. I've spent a great deal of time studying them in various cultures, and as a writer, I've found myself creating my own metaphors -- for the things that I've come to believe are beyond the metaphor cannot really be explained in any other way.

I guess when I think of the word "atheist," I see it as a Judeo-Christian way of indicating "other." Though most Native American cultures (from which I descend) have many intricate myths to explain their god(s), they don't attempt to "convert" any other tribe whose beliefs might differ. They recognize them as different, functioning mythologies -- functioning for the tribe, culture, people. There is no need for conversion or even labeling.

Now, I'm straying. I use the word "god" because most people recognize it as an indication of "beyond." And I do believe that I am beyond, as I believe in energy and that my energy is connected to all other energy in the universe -- I am not the universe. (Very similar to your comments, Paul!) Which means that yes, I believe in something higher and beyond myself. I just do not feel the need to clothe it in anthropomorphic ways...MOST of the time!!

Again....*sigh*.... I stray a bit. The subject line of this thread reads: "Atheists in AA??" and I counter with the question: What is an atheist?

I am a member of AA, I practice the twelve steps for recovery, and I am not a theist, except when I am. *whew*

(remainder of post removed as it once again took a turn and may quite possibly have gone on forever!!)

Peace & Love,
Sugah