Thread: Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Abbadun

Hi

Here are some ideas that I use

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.

---Marcus Aurelius Roman emperor, best known for his Meditations on Stoic philosophy, AD 121–180

I assume that the above Author expects us to use reasoning with applying this.

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make our world

--- Buddha. Hindu Prince Gautama Siddhartha, the founder of Buddhism, 563 - 483 B.C.

AB

Originally Posted by paulmh View Post
Hi Jane, I was pretty much entirely loopy for the first few months - and I was like you, deliberately not counting!

Just don't pick up, and give time, time. Being entirely honest, I found myself benefitting enormously from step 3 of the 12 step programme - though not believing in a G*d in the formal sense, I tried to suspend disbelief and just kept "handing over" lot's of things that previously my mind would fuss over - things that hadn't happened, things that I thought other people were thinking, things I had done in the past and hadn't resolved. I just "let go", and over time I seemed to get some peace!

Step three, incidentally, is "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him". A Step with very little place in a secular forum I grant you! Somewhere in the forum there is an alternative 12 step list, I think the alternative version of Step three is "3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over." Which is pretty much what I did.

I also found a thread on "Letting go" on the forum which I found really useful -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...your-life.html

Have a good day!