Thread: Anxiety
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 03:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
paulmh

Hi Jane, I was pretty much entirely loopy for the first few months - and I was like you, deliberately not counting!

Just don't pick up, and give time, time. Being entirely honest, I found myself benefitting enormously from step 3 of the 12 step programme - though not believing in a G*d in the formal sense, I tried to suspend disbelief and just kept "handing over" lot's of things that previously my mind would fuss over - things that hadn't happened, things that I thought other people were thinking, things I had done in the past and hadn't resolved. I just "let go", and over time I seemed to get some peace!

Step three, incidentally, is "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood him". A Step with very little place in a secular forum I grant you! Somewhere in the forum there is an alternative 12 step list, I think the alternative version of Step three is "3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over." Which is pretty much what I did.

I also found a thread on "Letting go" on the forum which I found really useful -
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...your-life.html

Have a good day!