Thread: DIY Recovery
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 06:05 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Ten Chips Down

Originally Posted by CAS116
I suspect, but have no proof, that "DIY" is a commonplace. And, such folks who do "DIY" have very little contact with groups whose focus is substance abuse.
That's very good; you hit upon a truism. Researchers such as Peele and Vaillant (the latter of whom I'll return to in a moment) observe in their published works that a vast majority of addicts of every stripe, whether they be smokers, alcoholics, crackheads or pillheads like me are somehow able to stop on their own. AND -as you said- have very little contact with the established mainstream help-groups.

As to what DIY is, well I can tell you the concept you all are struggling to express, underpinning the whole psychology of Do It Yourself. It's a piece of medical terminology which I absolutely love. It's called self-efficacy.

As defined on this page, self-efficacy is an individual’s estimate of his or her own ability to cope with a given situation. It's a measure of confidence in self--which quite literally runs counter to the concept of powerlessness which winds throughout all Twelve-Step programs.

And LadyJane you've been "reading my mail." Hehe. Either that or we read the same books.

Explanation forthcoming in a sec, i have to fetch it.

Ten