View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
michski

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by windysan View Post
I've heard this a gazillion times and I have yet to understand what it means.

Please splain it to me if'n ya feel like it.

Carrion.

Living life on Life's Terms!

I just found this thread, thought I would give it a bump because it's a good thing for every addict and codependent to think about and relax enough to understand.

For me learning to accept life on life's terms meant I could no longer get mad, get a bottle or a bag and disappear from the scene. It meant learning that the world did not revolve around me. It also meant that I had to learn about my senses of expectations and disappointments and accept the results.
In my sobriety I had to accept my feelings were not paramount in the world I lived in. Accepting life on life's terms helped me keep those huge rollercoaster of feelings of early recovery in check, trying to keep cool and "belong" to the world around me.

Once I accepted the way the flop flipped I began to feel like I belonged to the living again. Having problems, dealing with them or letting them slide off my back and not live rent free in my head anymore.

Living MY life on life's terms also meant that I could no longer disrespect those whom I love and loved me by being selfish, inconsiderate and dishonest. They were the life I was living on life's terms and I began to become so much more flexible emotionally.

Living my life on life's terms made me a whole lot more mellow and even more mature emotionally. No more crying, no more sense of victimization. I became responsible for my own sense of happiness because accepting life on life's terms means no one's gonna do it for you.

It also taught me that what other people think of me is NONE of my business.