View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 04:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mlynn

Malignant Narcism in the Alcoholic?

I was wondering who else's Alcoholic parent also suffers from Narsistic Personality Disorder. My father has all 9 of the clinical markers used by professionals to diagnosed clinical Malignant Narcism aka NPD. This fits him to a TEE. I have noticed that alot of the behaviors(of the alcoholic) and the emotional "issues"(of the adult child) are the same in both disorders. It lead me to wonder if there is a connection between the two. If anyone would like to read links on NPD I have attached some below. I was wondering if anyone else's parent/SO has both disorders? Sence reading about NPD I have acheaved a new frame of mind. I still have alot of anger and resentment and confusion.....but learning about NPD has allowed me a certian degree of "emotional detachment". Now everytime I see him rage about something I can detach....realize it isin't about ME.....and just think about what a miserable person he is...and try to prevent myself from becoming miserable. He will ALWAYS be miserable....and will ALWAYS need and crave something to complaign about....he feeds off of drama and I DON'T have to be involved in that drama.

h t t p : / /en(dot)wikipedia(dot)org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder