Thread: How to detach
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
steady14

Detaching is difficult. You need to set boundaries and stick with them. An example would be, "your bahavior is hurtful and if you do not stop, I will need to do what I have to in order to protect me and the children". This would suggest that either you will leave with your kids or she will have to leave.

An AW who insists on driving the children to practice is frightening. I know, my AW was doing it as well before she had a DUI and went to rehab. I travel with my job and never knew what was going on while I was gone. When I was home, I did the driving. I was not very good about setting boundaries and detaching myself in those days. I know better now.

You have to protect yourself and your children from the affects of this disease. It sometimes means making very difficult choices. I would also suggest that you attend Al-anon. It has helped me. I'm fortunate enough to have a men's group that is all men like us with AWs' who are either actively drinking or in recovery. Detachment is a big part of what you can learn there. Getting out of codependent bahavior is another skill you can learn. You basically need to let your AW make her own choices (as long as they are not hurtful to others) and allow her to be accountable for her actions. Do not continue to bail her out of her jams. That's enabling.

I know exactly what you are dealing with. I lived it myself. Let us know how things go for you.