Thread: How to detach
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
justabouthadit

How to detach

How do I deal with an AW who only acts up some of the time? She can go for a couple of months without drinking (at least I think she can). Last week I came home from work, she's drunk, my 3 young daughters are home and she informs me that she's going to drive my 10 yr old to basketball practice AND coach the team! Naturally, I object and refused to let my daughter in the car with AW. She tells me she's not drunk but took a sleeping pill to relax (as if that's supposed to make me feel better--another lie, she's drunk). A big fight ensues, kids crying, they don't understand why we're fighting. Ultimately, I drive my daughter to practice and coach the team that night, which I'm happy to do when I can.

How do I detach, how do I not be co-dependent, how do I not enable when the safety of my 3 children are involved. How do I do those things and protect my girls? Her behavior is forcing the children to be involved in confilcts they don't need to be involved in.

She seems to think it's no big deal AND she has already had one accident while drunk with kids in the car.

It's an endless cycle of dysfunction and chaos.