View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
leeside
outtahere

Originally Posted by TouchTheMirror
Hi folks. I've been taking 2mg (a "bar") of Xanax a day. I take half a bar in the morning and half a bar at 1pm or so. I take it for the calming effect it has on me.
I have no doubt of its addictive nature, but I wonder how my dosage compares with people who are truly addicted to and abuse this drug. The past 2 days I have experimented with cutting back to 1.5mg a day and haven't noticed an increase in stress or panicky feelings, so I think I'll try to cut it down to 1mg/day next week, then hopefully .75mg/day the week after, and so on until I'm off the stuff.
I have alcohol problems as well (I'm 3 days sober today, but have averaged 25 drinks a week for a couple of years), and I don't need a drug addiction as well, so I think it's best if I wean myself off of Xanax altogether.

Please share your experiences with Xanax, including how much you took and how/if you quit the drug. Thank you!
Xanax has many bad side effects. The one that got me the most was tinnitus, so I stopped. It is a fav drug with tinnitus patients paradoxically. It is in the PDR ototoxic drug list. It also makes my hyper and anxious.

I would cut down and off and not substitute any drug including alcohol which I would stop also.

Withdrawal and the DTs are quite a problem. I take plenty of vitamins, minerals, antioxadents, and get good nutrition. I substitue juice for alcohol. Sparkling juice is an excellent substitute. I get most of my fluids from fruits and vegetables per doctors advice. I sip a little water as needed. It really helps with withdrawal/DTs.

I shouldn't have to tell you of all the foolish and hurtful things drugs and alcohol can do (just read the previous, sleeping in the parking lot far from home post, for one instance.