View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 12:19 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
paulmh

That is a perfectly fine way to use it, but it's not necessarily the only way for someone who is non-theistic to use HP as a part of their recovery. If the problem for an alcoholic is "themself", then the solution is "not-themself". The fact that some of the early members run off with the notion of "a loving G*d" does not diminish the therapeutic power - in fact the life changing experience for an egotistical drunk like me - that power to change can be derived from outside one's self. That's all. Acknowledging a power greater than one's self is the starting point in recovery, not arriving at a conclusion about it's height, weight and superpowers. That's why AA is so good for so many different people - because it actively discourages people from bringing their notion of G*d to the forefront - "you've got the benefits of a power greater than yourself? Good. Then we don't need to know anything else"

Don't you agree abadun? I know you don't like some of the references to atheists and agnostics - though I think you do take them out of context quite deliberately - but can't we non-theists simply learn the benefits of tolerance and forgiveness from our theistic peers?