View Single Post
Old 11-11-2006, 02:11 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  
carlton

Originally Posted by historyteach
Easy does it, here.
Paul was repeating no longer's statement about himself.
Shalom!
Exactly. Thats how I read it: "quit the debating society" means STFU in 1930's language. Paulmh was actually being very positive about the posts he was referring to, as far as I can see.

Originally Posted by paulmh
...kinda thought though that if I had said "religion and the humanities and science", that there was nothing which didn't engage with the unknown. lol
That's what I was getting at. Moreover 'metaphysical' is a bit of a non starter for those with reservations about there actually being anything beyond the physical.

For myself, the point about the term 'secular spirituality' is that it provokes thought about what it means in practical terms. Those two words are seemingly contradictory, but perhaps they could be reconciled. To what end? How? Why? It is a term that begs definition, and then defies it.

*Yet another* defintion of 'secular spirituality' could be a spirituality that is not allied with any sect, denomination creed, religion (or lack of religion), and encourages followers to grow along 'spiritual' lines, acknowledging no ultimate authority save that of a loving god as expressed in group conscience and so on and so on. Its no surprise that the last page or so has returned to twelve step discussion. Many of the posters on this forum already have a working definition of 'secular spirituality'.

Why are the so-called spiritual vales called 'spiritual', and not just 'good', or even plain 'human'?