Old 11-01-2006, 07:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zoomer
Gold Member

Hi I'v read your thread and in the AA meetings I go to are full of people living life to the fullist and they give thier thanks to AA for helping them live such a life. I know for me I live 24 hours at a time in respect to not drinking. I'v been sober this time for over 2 years and there are days when the old thinking creeps up on me and that I'd love a drink,but then I have to think the drink all the way through. I may not have anything bad happend to me my first time drinking or my 20th time drinking,but I know drinking adds to my depression and just in that fact alone something already bad has happened. I can honestly say I have never had a black out nor a DWI (although I drake a few times and drove),nor have I been arrested,nor have a stole for my drink,nor put myself in the poor house because of my drinking,but my depression from over drinking got me to where I had to seek outside help. I did't like the fact that a mommy would drink every night and I even drank a little while I was pregnant. I drank during b-day celibrations for my kids or any other kind of celibration. I drank over being depressed or having one of life's ills befall on me. Most people do not drink or mommys do not drink as much as I did and it got to me. I hear a lot of stories in AA that I can say they do not relate to me,but I'm sure if I continued to drink perhaps they might in the long run relate to me, see cause you never know what stupid thing your going to do next if you continue to drink. I got pulled over a while back for running a yellow that turned red light. I thanked God that that was not a time when I would have a few beers, I was sober as a judge. I never got a ticket,but just think if it was one of the times I was drinking and driving. At any rate as long as I don't drink for 24 hours at a time I don't have to worry about such things,but be greatful that I'm sober. AA might not be for everyone,but I'v tried many a times of controled drinking or not drinking only to go back to drinking and AA is the only thing I know that will work for me. I have also been sober 6 years at one point only to stop going to meetings and picking up a drink again. If you find yourself in a meeting again of half destroyed drunks then find another meeting! Like I said before The meetings I go to are full of very fufilled active memember of the human race. A lot of meetings we share what we use to be like,so perhaps that is where you got your idea of half destroyed drunks,but most of us that have been sober for a while are not destroyed at all,but are better than ever in living a good honest clean life. Not to say you can't still have some fun in AA