View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 10:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
jlo34
Grateful recovering alcoholic

I drank anything that contained alcohol...rubbing alcohol, food color, food flavoring, mouthwash, didn't matter.

I went to brush my teeth once with this new toothpaste my mom had bought, shocked to find alcohol in it!!! I spit it out immediately!!!

Face cleaners...smell gross; but you know, they've got a bunch of alcohol in them too.

My home is entirely alcohol free. I did allow my husband to bring in a bottle of rubbing alcohol a few years ago. Several months later, I had a burning desire to drink and I remembered that bottle of rubbing alcohol. I took the lid off it, thinking by smelling it would disgust me - opposite, it smelled really good. My mind then justified that taking a sip would not be a relapse...(with almost 14 years sober folks!!!). The bottle was near my lips, getting ready to drink it (I regularly go to meetings, 4-8 a week; that day I had gone to 2! AA did not enter my mind, nor my recovery, my parents, my kids, my husband, my sponsors, my sponsees, my AA friends, my HP, NOTHING!!) when suddenly a loud voice screamed at me, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!!!" It was my HP. I know it was. It had to have been. I was beyond anything human stopping me. Had that voice not waken me up, my life sure would be a lot different, if I were even alive yet. I dumped that bottle down the toilet, told my husband and it has nor will it be replaced. There are plenty of suitable replacements without alcohol in them!!!

Do I cook with alcohol? NO. Do I have alcohol of any form in my house? NO. My sobriety is too precious. I refuse to give up my life, my happiness, and my peace of mind for alcohol.

Blessings,
Jen