View Single Post
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
paulmh

Teach I've got to disagree with you. BSPGirl uses SMART as a Higher Power in preciesly the way that Blake describes and in precisely the way that I use HP in my recovery. It categorically doesn't follow that just because I use a HP to recover, that I believe that that HP has a will.

My experience is this. It's not about the nature of G*d. It's about the nature of the addict. It's not about coming to believe in G*d. It's about undoing the harmful effects of the addictive nature. It's not about what I believe it's about how I live.

In AA we are invited to believe - and this explanation makes perfect sense to me - that the addict is a damaged self. The antidote to the damage is HP. What that HP is for each individual is of no consequence. If it's Jesus and all his little saints, but not an ounce of the individuals' life changes - then they'll continue to suffer. The addict has to break out of themselves to be - and I choose my words carefully - redeemed. But the story was, is and always will be about the nature of the addict and not about the nature of the cosmos.