View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 12:41 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
BSPGirl

Just something to consider, The toolbox that SMART has given you, did you come up with it yourself, or was it created after much research and from the experiences of those that came before you? Is it something outside of yourself that you have adapted and made your own? Something outside yourself that you have "faith" in?
Hmm interesting. I guess I do have faith in those tools offered but that doesn't mean it's something abstract and larger than myself, cuz after all it's just me using them or not. That's how I look at it. I don't use certain tools offered at SMART, they don't seem useful to me, and others I use a lot, there's no demand to use those tools and yes one can come up with his/her own ways to tackle a problem, too.

The ocean has a huge influence on you, the tide, global warming, the fish you eat, the ocean gives life, gives energy, and can take life in scale far exceding that of any single person.....if a tsunami is heading right at you, can you stop it?
I think with all the warning devices for Tusnami's and what not, we're pretty much gaining control. I think it's in humans to control a situation, no matter how big the mountain each and every one of us faces, we will climb it, eventually. Only the weak will stay in the valleys moping around and eventually die. Darwin's Laws.

I know this is a little abstract, but for someone like me that has a somewhat abstract view of recovery, abstract is where it is at.
lol I like abstract!

only ME controls ME too...NA taught me to take responsibility for my actions.
Now SMART and NA don't seem to different to me all of a sudden, same outcome.

Yes science can explain a whole lot about life, quatum physics is one of the most interesting field of study going right now as it pertains to the creation, destruction and behavior of matter and energy on a subatomic scale....some really really wierd stuff is being discovered and I too believe that our understanding of the universe will be helped way more in a lab than a church....but that isn't in conflict with the 12 steps, that was the point I was getting at in my original post.
You are just a very open minded person it seems to me, Blake. I know for many others all these things you just mentioned will conflict each other while applying The 12 Steps.

And thanks for the compliment Marte, I know I don't have the market cornered on recovery, different things work for different people....the important thing is that people find what works for them and stop using, ya know?
Eventually we're all having the same goal in mind, staying clean and/or sober. This is just a really neat discussion I truly enjoy having with you.

Marte

Last edited by BSPGirl; 10-23-2006 at 12:58 PM.