View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
doorknob
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Blake
maybe to you it does, which is a great thing....but for somepeople doorknob makes perfect sense.
Thats not fair! I edited that post almost immediately!!

I can kinda see the logic of using a group of people or an ideal as a HP, but the inanimate object worship I don't quite get. For me, either is a stretch, given the original intentions of the Steps.

When it all comes down to it, ALL recovery programs work b/c of spiritual principles (honesty, openmindedness, willingness, patience, tolerance, hope, faith, love, ect...), NA/AA, SMART, et.al. work b/c the person using them has hope that the program can work for them, even if it's just a little glimmer of hope to begin with. Slowly and with time that hope turns in to faith through experience, I KNOW NA works for me b/c it has proven itself in my life that way. I KNOW SMART works for some people b/c it has proven itself in their lives and kept them clean. Both are powers greater than myself, that I MAKE A DECISION to follow (read: turn my will and my life over to...3rd step) or not.
For me, the virtues you mention can be secular as well, although I prefer using confidence in the capacity that many use faith.