View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 07:38 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Blake
I'm an addict.

Originally Posted by BSPGirl
Well whatever the 12 Steppers say, it's a religious thing, this 'power greater than yourself'. I believe in myself, I'm a humanist, and that will never match with The 12 Steps, period.

Marte
Marte, is the ocean a power greater than yourself? Is life itself a power greater than yourself? Are two women a power greater than yourself? Is someone that has been clean for multiple years a power greater than yourself? Is the collective experience of thousands of people a power greater than yourself?

There are many "powers greater than yourself" out there...religion has absolutely nothing to do with how I (or my sponsor) work the 12 steps of NA.

You have done a 2nd sep btw, you came to believe that SMARTrecovery (you are involved with SMART, or am I mis-remebering things?) can help you return to sanity (read: stay clean). SMART is a power greater than yourself.

DK, I think what paul was saying is that being a humanist doesn't nessecarily have to mean that you believe you are the most important, most powerful person in the world....that is just selfcenteredness, and ignorance.